Wednesday, July 30, 2008

5.4

That was it. Originally, yesterday's earthquake was reported as 5.8. That's the score I would given it. 5.4 seems just a little too moderate for all the excitement it stirred.

I was at the office when it hit -- 4th floor of a four floor building. The buildings is only a couple years old, so I can't think of a better place to be. Best timing for an earthquake I've ever been in.

I stood up when it started, more bemused than anything, and just starting looking around the office. I had thought I had felt a couple small tremblers at the office during the last couple weeks, so when I realized this was a real earthquake, I .

A woman a few cubicles down bolted out of the room screaming. I vaguely remembered something about doorway's being safe spotsWe smiled at each other.
so I made my way toward the nearest office doorway. But a woman beat me there. It was her office so I couldn't really hold it against her. She smiled and I said, "I think you're doing the right thing."

The shaking had just reached the point where I was ready to get worried when it began to ease off. As it was intensifying, I heard something fall, perhaps on the roof. That was a little alarming.

One interesting fact I heard during a bit of the Cal Tech news conference I heard during my afternoon break: all buildings built after 1930 should be able to withstand this strong an earthquake.

Google map of the epicenter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home